- Regional Council of Lezha is e second level unit of Local Governance in Albania.
- The Regional Council is a pluralist Regional Parliament Institution, which members are representative elected by the Councils of the Local Governement Units.
- Regional Councils are new institutions that act based on the law for " organization and functioning of Local Governance"
The Regional Council of Lezha has different functions based on law which are illustrated below
The Regional Council of Lezha partecipates actively in many associations and is involved as a Partner on the implementions of different projects, listed as below:
- AER (Assembly of European Regions ) Member
- SEENORDA (LERDA) Member Programme for Development and Local Decentralization (dldp)
- SDC Swiss Agency for Development Regional Development Programme of Northern Albania with - Austrian and Swiss Agency for Development
- Project "Identification and adaptation measures in river deltas Drin and Mat - UNDP
- Project "Monitoring and enforcement of children's rights in Lezha – UNICEF
IPA Adriatic CBC projects co-financed by EU
NET - AGE (Promote regional social development encouraging NETworking of relevant public volunteering stakeholders to boost innovation in the delivering social-health-care services for AGEing people ) (100,218.00 euro (second call IPAAdriatic projects)
DeFishGear (environmental and fishing) 140,000.00 euro. First call for strategic project proposals IPAAdriatic cbc. Partnership agreement is signed and the first Kick-off meeting was held in Venice on 19-20 December 2013 ( Pre-financing is 40%)
PROJECTS (we are in an implementation phase-The region of Lezha will do the monitoring of the w2 projects) RDP NA Office, Regional Development Programme of Northern Albania
W1 - Construction of Sewage System in Mamurras Commune 250,000.00 Euros
W1 - Joint demonstration Governance Project 163,000.00 euros • W2 - Sustainable Tourism of Cultural and Natural Heritage of Zadrima
W2 – Zadrima Festival in the land of Fishta
W2 - Development of Eco - tourism in the region of Lezha ( DETUREL )
Reassessment of values W2 - eco - tourism and community-based natural resources and the development of a strategic action plan for their interconnection with socio - economic development
W2 - Promoting Rural Development in Lezha
W2 - Preparation of the Local Plan for Integrated Urban Waste Management Urban Orosh commune
Dldp - project for electronic governance
- Financing of small projects by Peace Corps for Ungrej municipality (4000 euros)
- Project-proposal for detection and prevention of breast cancer at Hungarian Embassy (the results are expected late February)
GEOGRAFIC INTRODUCTION OF LEZHA REGION
Situated on the northwestern part of Albania, the region of Lezhe, takes up a surface of 1584 km2 inhabited by 230000 people. From the administrative point of view Lezha region is bordered with Shkodra region on the northern part, on the north-east with Diber and Kukes region and on the south with Durres region. The extreme points stretch: on the north with the Kunora peak, on the south with Droja river, on the west with Adriatik Sea. It has a favorable geographic position which testify for the ancient connections through land and sea with Shkodra in particular and the Dalmatian coastline as well as other regions further to the south.
The region is comprised of three districts: Lezha, Mirdita and Kurbini; is divided into 21 local units, 5 municipalities and 16 communes, 9 cities and 170 villages. The region displays a rich history since antiquity. The monuments of culture, the objects of cult, the inscriptions, the coins, the emblems, archaeological findings, written documents as well as events and remarkable figures are significant proof of the past of the region.
The Shëngjini Port is one of the three ports of the Republic of Albania is only 7 km from Lezha city otherwise called by the Venetians “the right eye of Durres”, is also a center for the whole region and is known in the medieval maps by the name the port of San Giovanni di Medua inherited nowadays. The port is like a trigger for Lezha Region not only in national level but also for the neighboring countries like: Italiy, Montenegro, Kosova, Macedonia dhe Greece.
For more informations please visit us on: www.qarkulezhe.gov.al